Skip to main content

Have wearables been overlooked?

Admittedly, I am huge fan of any new technology; I have always been excited to see how closely the future will line up with how science fiction portrays it. In a world where everything seems to be attempting to be smaller, wireless, and more convenient, wearables seemed like the next revolutionary breakthrough in how we interact with technology. Sadly (at least to me), wearables seem to be a niche product rather than a must-have items so...have we overlooked their use?

Now, I am sure Apple fans and fitness junkies will not understand what I am talking about as Apple watches are a necessity for some while there is a Fitbit on every gym-goers wrist, but when I look around, I do not see a ton of smart watches. As a Huawei watch owner (my fiancee rocks the Zenwatch 2), I just do not understand why. My watch has become central to my life because I can control my car audio (phone with Bluetooth), check my notifications, and get my golf yardages all from my wrist. Because of this, my phone screen has become second best (excluding my Family guy game and my constant social media checking).

Am I saying the technology is perfect? Of course not. I am still tethered to my phone (Apple Watch 3 people stay quiet), and I cannot take pictures with it. Can I check Twitter and Facebook? Again, no. However, I do not think we should so quickly overlook these items. It could be just my opinion, but I love the idea of being always connected, but not always distracted. I cannot wait until an item like Google Glass can become the norm, or the Levi jacket can be expanded to other items (look up the Levi Smart jacket if you are confused). Personally, the future of an always-connected, always-on, technology-filled future is exciting to me, and I believe the items we wear on our face,wrists, and even whole body are a part of the future.

So, I ask: have wearables been overlooked? And, if so, have we done it prematurely?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In-display sensors or facial scanners: which will take off?

The fingerprint sensor may be moving back to the front...under the screen. Could this be the next big trend in mobile technology (see previous entry about current trend)? Or, will companies move the Apple way and opt for facial recognition for security? With the debut of the iPhone X, Apple shifted away from the fingerprint sensor and debuted FaceID. Utilizing (arguably) some of the most advanced cameras and sensors, the iPhone X negated the need for fingerprint, bio-metric security by using 3D facial recognition to verify identity. In doing so, the home button vanished from the iPhone along with the ability to scan fingerprints. Several months later, at CES, Vivo demoed the first phone using in-display fingerprint scanner technology ; the idea being to remove bezels on the front as well remove the sensor from the back of the body. Prior to CES, many believed that Samsung would be the first to debut the technology, but they were held back by mass-producing and technological restra...

Digital well-being is the trend of the year

Digital well-being is this year's buzzword With the keynote of WWDC officially over, it is safe to say one thing: digital well-being is the trendy topic of the year. I/O last month and WWDC have demonstrated that the key players in mobile devices (seemingly) want you to put your phone down. However, which company has the right idea in how to do it? Both iOS 12 and Android P have showcased coming features to address "digital well-being". For all intents and purposes, these words just mean that Apple and Google "want" you to spend less time on your phone; at least, that is the image they are portraying. Both iOS and Android offer new dashboards Now, how are they both doing it? While they differ in the approach, they have very similar tools. For instance, both operating systems will allow you to set timers on apps so that you can spend as much or as little times in those apps as you choose. If you go over, you get shut out of the app. In additio...

Sorry Google, but Spotify will still offer me what YouTube cannot

IMAGE: Google One of the worst kept secrets in the tech world has finally been announced: YouTube and Google Play Music are finally going to start converging. The new YouTube Music app will start rolling out next week with the long term plan to phase out Google Play Music. The new app will compete with Spotify with a $9.99 per month plan that will let you have unlimited skips, ad-free listening, and background playing; there will also be a free version that allows listening with ads. The current YouTube Red will become YouTube Premium for just an additional $2.00 per month on top of the YouTube Music subscription. Because the point of this article is about music playing, I will not talk much about that. IMAGE: Google At first glance, this seems great right? There was no need for both YouTube Music and Google Play Music as they are competing streaming platforms owned by the same company (Google) so it makes sense to actually consolidate apps as opposed to offer competing one...