Skip to main content

Kids and Technology

First of all, welcome back! My hope is that everyone had a great Thanksgiving as well as Black Friday if you are one of those with the courage to get up early and brave the crowd. For those who prefer sleep and lack-of-injury, I hope you individuals are ready for the joy of Black Friday from the comfort of home (or work): Black Friday.

Now to the topic at hand, and for the purpose of argument, I am going to use my (future) brother-in-law as they are the perfect age for this topic. Kids today (at least those under the age of 10) have been born and raised entirely in the age of connected devices and handheld technology. On most occasions, I have witnessed that the two I mentioned earlier cannot be seen inside without a device in their hands. Whether they are using the restroom, eating dinner, et cetera, these kids have a phone/tablet/iPod in their hand playing some game or watching some video. For these reasons, and I am just assuming many kids are like this, we tend to generalize this behavior and simply claim they are "addicted" to these devices.

Taking this a step further, I have even seen multiple times where, as an adult society, we label this as the reason for rising childhood obesity rates, and we make claims like, "Kids would rather sit in front of a screen than play outside". I will admit that I have often thought the same thing, but, after observing the two children I mentioned earlier, I can gladly make a counter argument.

I will not generalize all kids here because I am sure there are some out there that would prefer a screen to a baseball, but I can assure you that this is not the case for all. While I have found my niece and brother-in-law will sit in front of a screen all day if they are stuck inside, this would certainly not be their preferred method of entertainment. I have witnessed time-and-time again that unless they are forbidden from going outside because of the weather, they would spend an entire day outside playing without a screen in sight.

So what is the point? As I am not a parent yet, I would not even begin to tell someone how to raise their children. However, I think we need to start looking at children from a new perspective. I will be the first to get aggravated by the constant sound of ridiculous videos when I am watching TV or trying to have a conversation, but, at the same time, I have begun thinking more of their perspective than of just my own. Not remembering much of my own childhood mindset, I can't say if this is new or not, but I think kids' minds are constantly running at an astronomical level. Personally, I don't believe that most kids are addicted to devices; I think they have a nonstop need to be active and entertained. When these kids can't be outside, they use devices for entertainment.

I get that constant use of devices indoors can be frustrating, annoying, et cetera. However, I encourage everyone to take a second-look at their kids device usage and determine for yourself if it is really a device addiction or an entertainment addiction. Again, this is just my opinion, and I am sure there are many other opinions that I would love to hear about.

P.S. While we may disagree with their constant device usage, we cannot deny that children are so adept at using these devices that they have often surpassed even our own ability to navigate them successfully.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

13 Reasons Why shows why it is not as easy as blaming technology for our societal problems

IMAGE: IMDB Let's start with a little background for those that are not familiar. 13 Reasons Why is a Netflix show that follows the story of Hannah Baker, or rather, the story after Hannah Baker. After intense bullying, harassment, and ultimately sexual assault, Hannah takes her own life leaving behind a set of tapes detailing the reasons she committed suicide. In the newly released season two, 13 Reason follows the trial in the lawsuit between Hannah's parents and the school district. An incredibly graphic show, 13 Reasons leaves little to the imagination. Hannah's suicide is shown fully on screen as are the various depictions of sexual assault including the now controversial scene featuring character Tyler in the season two finale. Designed to instigate discussion about some of the darker sides of society, 13 Reasons Why remains polarizing for how it depicts certain topics; however, one topic that is rarely discussed or mentioned is the affect that technology has on

How 30 minutes more per Morning Changed my Life - Part 2

Body           I think the most obvious change (and the one I had most sought after) was too my body. After the holidays, I felt miserable with both how I looked and how I felt. I had not been doing anything physical and had consumed more food in a short amount of time than I had done all year. This state of mind is what led me to undertake this journey in the first place.           However, unlike when I was going to the gym, I chose to also completely change my diet. I decided that to completely invest in the program, I needed to quit sabotaging my own results. I gave up on almost all sugars, quit drinking soda, and began monitoring everything that went in to my body. While it is not only more expensive, but also more time consuming, to change my diet, I have found the results to be well worth it.           I have found that in only two months that the changes have been night and day. I have completely lost every bit of weight that I put on during the holidays as well put mysel

RCS (Chat) may finally push carriers to give us the plans we really want

IMAGE: TechAdviser.co When The Verge first released its exclusive analysis on the future of Google messaging including the seeming death of Allo, the branding of Chat, and the push toward RCS, I did not think too much of it. After all, I had been reading about Rich Communication Services as the successor to Short Message Service for years; the popularity of apps such as WhatsApp, Messenger, and iMessage showed that people loved the feeling of more personalized messages. Uncompressed pictures and stickers were just the beginning of what RCS was capable as in-thread boarding passes started to become a reality. Unfortunately, as is always the case, carriers and companies could not agree on a profile for universal RCS leading to no direction and no adoption; Apple sitting comfortably on the outside with the exclusivity of iMessage did not help the matter either. However, Google with Chat seems to have put RCS back on track. As noted in the article, many carriers and manufacturers h