Skip to main content

Trust Indicators and Fake News

It is no secret that we have a significant "Fake News" problem in the world today. Before everyone starts preparing their defenses for their favorite news sources, let me clarify that I am not talking about "Biased News". As much as President Trump likes to say it, CNN is not actually "Fake News" and neither is FOX, NBC, ABC, et cetera. Biased as these sites may be at times (mostly all the time), the news they are reporting is based in fact; it just has a very biased spin. I would think that functioning adults would be able to tell the difference between:
"Trump signs healthcare reform in to law causing issues for middle-class"
and
"Trump seen punching babies on his way out of gentleman's club"

While there is no way for me to know if the second statement ever happened (I highly doubt it), I would assume that most people would understand that one is fake and one is biased. Unfortunately, we seem to have reached a point that people either don't care if something is fake because it supports their tightly-held beliefs, or people really just can't tell the difference. I personally believe that are country is in crisis if the latter if true.

Technology companies, especially those that foster news sharing such as Facebook and Google, have finally begun to combat the problem. As I read on Engadget (link below), these companies have gotten many of the top news providers to agree to "Trust Indicators" next to their articles. These indicators will show information about the story, journalist, and provider. Their hope is that people will see this information, read it, and actually make smart decisions based on this information.

My thoughts on this are that this may be all for naught. My experience with many that read most of these "shady" articles do not care about the source or even the journalist. Their thoughts are that these articles reinforce their biases and allow them to feel more secure in their beliefs. The idea that those with hardcore beliefs strong enough to read (and believe) these outrageous stories are going to suddenly see reason seems pretty far-fetched.

However, I will ask you. What are your thoughts on indicators on articles designed to weed out "Fake News"? Do you believe that this will actually make an impact, or is this going to just be another exercise in insanity for thinking the consumption of these stories can be stopped?


Engadget link: https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/16/facebook-google-and-others-add-trust-icons-to-tackle-fake-news/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In-display sensors or facial scanners: which will take off?

The fingerprint sensor may be moving back to the front...under the screen. Could this be the next big trend in mobile technology (see previous entry about current trend)? Or, will companies move the Apple way and opt for facial recognition for security? With the debut of the iPhone X, Apple shifted away from the fingerprint sensor and debuted FaceID. Utilizing (arguably) some of the most advanced cameras and sensors, the iPhone X negated the need for fingerprint, bio-metric security by using 3D facial recognition to verify identity. In doing so, the home button vanished from the iPhone along with the ability to scan fingerprints. Several months later, at CES, Vivo demoed the first phone using in-display fingerprint scanner technology ; the idea being to remove bezels on the front as well remove the sensor from the back of the body. Prior to CES, many believed that Samsung would be the first to debut the technology, but they were held back by mass-producing and technological restra...

Where, oh where did all of my wires go?

As I read through the comments on various mobile phone articles, I always see the same complaints: "Where is the headphone jack?" "No headphone jack? No thanks" "If it ain't broken, why fix it?" While I originally shared their contempt, I have since come to question where is all of this hate for less wires coming from? I admit that I am definitely not an audiophile, but in my opinion, Bluetooth headphones have come a long way and sound pretty solid to me. More importantly, looking at the bigger picture, haven't we been in love with the idea of losing wires for decades? As I write this blog from a wireless computer with a wireless keyboard navigated with a wireless mouse, I am reminded that we have been removing wires from everything possible for a very long time, and while there may have been resistance at the time, we have adopted this concept in to the norm. As a young kid, I remember growing up with a clear "house phone" (a rarit...

Digital well-being is the trend of the year

Digital well-being is this year's buzzword With the keynote of WWDC officially over, it is safe to say one thing: digital well-being is the trendy topic of the year. I/O last month and WWDC have demonstrated that the key players in mobile devices (seemingly) want you to put your phone down. However, which company has the right idea in how to do it? Both iOS 12 and Android P have showcased coming features to address "digital well-being". For all intents and purposes, these words just mean that Apple and Google "want" you to spend less time on your phone; at least, that is the image they are portraying. Both iOS and Android offer new dashboards Now, how are they both doing it? While they differ in the approach, they have very similar tools. For instance, both operating systems will allow you to set timers on apps so that you can spend as much or as little times in those apps as you choose. If you go over, you get shut out of the app. In additio...