Skip to main content

It looks like Xbox will welcome Google Assistant and Alexa to the party

As detailed by multiple sources yesterday, the Xbox may be getting much more friendly with Alexa and Google Assistant. Windows Central reports that upcoming dashboards are showing an option to enable digital assistants including Alexa and Google Assistant; this would mean Xbox users would no longer be locked in to Cortana.

Xbox Dashboard shows digital assistants on the way
Currently, Cortana is the only digital assistant that works within the Xbox, but the writing has been on the wall for her demise for a long time. With the discontinuation of the Kinect for consumers, her use was possible only through headsets and microphones which I would imagine few people used on the daily basis.As someone that routes their TV through the Xbox to take advantage of the entertainment system aspect of the device, I can assure you that I seldom have access to a microphone.

Image result for kinect 2.0
The death of Kinect basically ended voice interaction
However, with the introduction of other digital assistant capability, the Xbox can be integrated neatly in to homes that take advantage of assistants and smart speakers including Homes and Echos. For instance, with the old Kinect, I could simply tell Cortana to turn the Xbox on or open an app; the convenience of this was wonderful. Unfortunately, the Kinect does not work anymore so voice interaction with the Xbox is gone.

Now, here comes more of the brilliance of Nadella to save the day. Say what you want about the direction of Microsoft under Satya Nadella, but you cannot deny how open the company has been under his direction. At Build, we were given a glimpse in to how Microsoft will interact with other companies when they demonstrated the integration of Alexa and Cortana; I would say their complete embracing of Android is another indicator. Under Satya, Microsoft has gone from close-minded to completely embracing openness, and the integration of digital assistants for the Xbox is just another sign of Microsoft's direction.

Image result for alexa and cortana
Alexa and Cortana are already slated to cooperate
In addition to this being a great sign for the tech community, it is also a welcomed feature for smart home enthusiasts. Most people tend to stay within a single ecosystem; I tend to have my entire home run through Google Assistant. As I explained yesterday, I have my lights, air conditioning, and fans run by her just by voicing what I would like, and in the past, I used to have Cortana run my Xbox. When this feature becomes live, I will be able to run both my living room Xbox as well as my bedroom Xbox with Assistant making my home life even more convenient.

As of right now, there is no timeframe for when this feature will go live, but it is nonetheless a very exciting announcement as it not only adds convenience for end-users, but also shows a willingness to cooperate among the tech titans.

Thank you Satya!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

13 Reasons Why shows why it is not as easy as blaming technology for our societal problems

IMAGE: IMDB Let's start with a little background for those that are not familiar. 13 Reasons Why is a Netflix show that follows the story of Hannah Baker, or rather, the story after Hannah Baker. After intense bullying, harassment, and ultimately sexual assault, Hannah takes her own life leaving behind a set of tapes detailing the reasons she committed suicide. In the newly released season two, 13 Reason follows the trial in the lawsuit between Hannah's parents and the school district. An incredibly graphic show, 13 Reasons leaves little to the imagination. Hannah's suicide is shown fully on screen as are the various depictions of sexual assault including the now controversial scene featuring character Tyler in the season two finale. Designed to instigate discussion about some of the darker sides of society, 13 Reasons Why remains polarizing for how it depicts certain topics; however, one topic that is rarely discussed or mentioned is the affect that technology has on

RCS (Chat) may finally push carriers to give us the plans we really want

IMAGE: TechAdviser.co When The Verge first released its exclusive analysis on the future of Google messaging including the seeming death of Allo, the branding of Chat, and the push toward RCS, I did not think too much of it. After all, I had been reading about Rich Communication Services as the successor to Short Message Service for years; the popularity of apps such as WhatsApp, Messenger, and iMessage showed that people loved the feeling of more personalized messages. Uncompressed pictures and stickers were just the beginning of what RCS was capable as in-thread boarding passes started to become a reality. Unfortunately, as is always the case, carriers and companies could not agree on a profile for universal RCS leading to no direction and no adoption; Apple sitting comfortably on the outside with the exclusivity of iMessage did not help the matter either. However, Google with Chat seems to have put RCS back on track. As noted in the article, many carriers and manufacturers h

How 30 minutes more per Morning Changed my Life - Part 2

Body           I think the most obvious change (and the one I had most sought after) was too my body. After the holidays, I felt miserable with both how I looked and how I felt. I had not been doing anything physical and had consumed more food in a short amount of time than I had done all year. This state of mind is what led me to undertake this journey in the first place.           However, unlike when I was going to the gym, I chose to also completely change my diet. I decided that to completely invest in the program, I needed to quit sabotaging my own results. I gave up on almost all sugars, quit drinking soda, and began monitoring everything that went in to my body. While it is not only more expensive, but also more time consuming, to change my diet, I have found the results to be well worth it.           I have found that in only two months that the changes have been night and day. I have completely lost every bit of weight that I put on during the holidays as well put mysel