Skip to main content

Digital well-being is the trend of the year





Image result for digital wellbeing
Digital well-being is this year's buzzword
With the keynote of WWDC officially over, it is safe to say one thing: digital well-being is the trendy topic of the year. I/O last month and WWDC have demonstrated that the key players in mobile devices (seemingly) want you to put your phone down. However, which company has the right idea in how to do it?

Both iOS 12 and Android P have showcased coming features to address "digital well-being". For all intents and purposes, these words just mean that Apple and Google "want" you to spend less time on your phone; at least, that is the image they are portraying.

Image result for digital wellbeing
Both iOS and Android offer new dashboards
Now, how are they both doing it? While they differ in the approach, they have very similar tools. For instance, both operating systems will allow you to set timers on apps so that you can spend as much or as little times in those apps as you choose. If you go over, you get shut out of the app. In addition, both companies have built dashboards in to the system to allow you to visually see your time spent on your phone. Finally, both companies have made it possible to monitor a child's mobile usage and place restrictions at will.

Image result for digital wellbeing iOS
iOS 12 has a new app timer as well
While both companies have similar ideals, they do take very different tactics to accomplish their goals. The first difference is the sheer force in which the companies use to control the behavior. When the app timer expires on iOS, you just need to click the button to ignore it and continue as you were. However, on Android, the app closes, the icon gray, and the app will no longer open until you change the setting from inside the dashboard. As for child monitoring, Apple made the feature a key part of the OS rather than a stand-alone app as on Android.

Who did it better? Well, that depends on who you are and what you like. Google clearly planned a more strong-armed system that is determined to make sure that you take care of your life. Apple, on the other hand, chose to give all of the tools needed to improve your well-being, but chose not to force those tools on you. While each tactic has advantages, there are no winners; you will just like what you like.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In-display sensors or facial scanners: which will take off?

The fingerprint sensor may be moving back to the front...under the screen. Could this be the next big trend in mobile technology (see previous entry about current trend)? Or, will companies move the Apple way and opt for facial recognition for security? With the debut of the iPhone X, Apple shifted away from the fingerprint sensor and debuted FaceID. Utilizing (arguably) some of the most advanced cameras and sensors, the iPhone X negated the need for fingerprint, bio-metric security by using 3D facial recognition to verify identity. In doing so, the home button vanished from the iPhone along with the ability to scan fingerprints. Several months later, at CES, Vivo demoed the first phone using in-display fingerprint scanner technology ; the idea being to remove bezels on the front as well remove the sensor from the back of the body. Prior to CES, many believed that Samsung would be the first to debut the technology, but they were held back by mass-producing and technological restra...

Initial thoughts: Hogwarts Mystery

As a kid, I loved Hogwarts and the wizarding world; hell, as an adult, I still do. There is really something magical about that fictional world (pun intended). I have read every book (multiple times, including The Cursed Child), seen every movie (multiple times, including Fantastic Beasts), played every video game, and bought almost every toy from action figures to Lego sets. Because of that love, until Niantic's Wizards Unite allows me to be an AR wizard, I decided I would spend my time at Hogwarts in the mobile game Hogwarts Mystery. Having played fairly steadily for two days, here are my initial reactions. Starting the game was exactly as I imagined. I got to create my character and head to Diagon Alley where I met my first friend (Rowan). I really did enjoy getting my wand, visiting Flourish and Blotts, and seeing those familiar Cobblestone streets. However, it was when I got to the Great Hall for the Sorting Ceremony that my nostalgia really kicked in. As I have wanted to do...