Skip to main content

In-display sensors or facial scanners: which will take off?

The fingerprint sensor may be moving back to the front...under the screen. Could this be the next big trend in mobile technology (see previous entry about current trend)? Or, will companies move the Apple way and opt for facial recognition for security?

With the debut of the iPhone X, Apple shifted away from the fingerprint sensor and debuted FaceID. Utilizing (arguably) some of the most advanced cameras and sensors, the iPhone X negated the need for fingerprint, bio-metric security by using 3D facial recognition to verify identity. In doing so, the home button vanished from the iPhone along with the ability to scan fingerprints.

Several months later, at CES, Vivo demoed the first phone using in-display fingerprint scanner technology; the idea being to remove bezels on the front as well remove the sensor from the back of the body. Prior to CES, many believed that Samsung would be the first to debut the technology, but they were held back by mass-producing and technological restraints.

While Vivo is significantly less significant than Apple, the announcement of the bio-metric technology now created a large decision for phone manufacturers to make: shift toward a new form of identity verification or shift the location of the old verification module. With this in mind, many eyes shifted toward Samsung and the direction they would take with the S9; personally, I found their answer rather safe. With the S9, Samsung debuted new facial recognition software that was not secure enough to be the sole sensor while also holding on to the fingerprint sensor (thankfully in the right spot this time).

In Samsung's defense, maybe the technology was still not ready for in-display recognition, and they did not want to go all out on facial recognition because they do not see that as the future of bio-metric security. However, it now appears that the technology may be ready for them to finally make the move. As reported by CNET, the Galaxy S10 may finally debut an in-display fingerprint sensor as deciphered from a Korean report. If this ends up being true, Samsung would be the first household name in mobile technology to include this technology; I would say utilizing it on their flagship phone would make the inclusion even more significant..

So what is the big deal about in-display sensors? Well, several things. First, fingerprint sensors were originally embedded in to the home button of phones thus finding a nice home on the front of phones. As home buttons from Android manufacturers such as Samsung disappeared, the sensor migrated to the back of the phone thus allowing the slimming of bezels. While many, like myself, find the back to be the ideal location for the sensor, it does cause problems for those who enjoy having their phone lay on a flat surface thus the desire to move it back to the front. The in-display sensor would allow a front facing sensor while also maintaining the progress toward bezel-less devices.

Personally, I prefer the fingerprint sensor on the back. When I pick up my phone, my finger rest perfectly on the sensor, but I am also one that does not commonly use my phone on a flat surface. In addition, I believe moving the sensor to under the screen leaves the phone vulnerable to a host of new problems. For example, I know there a large amount of people that continually use a phone with a cracked screen; will the sensor still work? Also, will the screen effect the effectiveness of the sensor? Also, will screen cleanliness impact the usefulness?

I am not against the new technology, but I do believe that is could be problematic. I have a wait and see attitude about the in-display technology; however, I will happily embrace it if it proves to be just as effective and secure. As it was only Vivo to produce a device with the technology so far, it remained to be seen whether it would ever reach mass adoption. But with Samsung possibly embracing the new sensor, will in-display fingerprint sensors become the next must-have for a flagship device?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

13 Reasons Why shows why it is not as easy as blaming technology for our societal problems

IMAGE: IMDB Let's start with a little background for those that are not familiar. 13 Reasons Why is a Netflix show that follows the story of Hannah Baker, or rather, the story after Hannah Baker. After intense bullying, harassment, and ultimately sexual assault, Hannah takes her own life leaving behind a set of tapes detailing the reasons she committed suicide. In the newly released season two, 13 Reason follows the trial in the lawsuit between Hannah's parents and the school district. An incredibly graphic show, 13 Reasons leaves little to the imagination. Hannah's suicide is shown fully on screen as are the various depictions of sexual assault including the now controversial scene featuring character Tyler in the season two finale. Designed to instigate discussion about some of the darker sides of society, 13 Reasons Why remains polarizing for how it depicts certain topics; however, one topic that is rarely discussed or mentioned is the affect that technology has on

RCS (Chat) may finally push carriers to give us the plans we really want

IMAGE: TechAdviser.co When The Verge first released its exclusive analysis on the future of Google messaging including the seeming death of Allo, the branding of Chat, and the push toward RCS, I did not think too much of it. After all, I had been reading about Rich Communication Services as the successor to Short Message Service for years; the popularity of apps such as WhatsApp, Messenger, and iMessage showed that people loved the feeling of more personalized messages. Uncompressed pictures and stickers were just the beginning of what RCS was capable as in-thread boarding passes started to become a reality. Unfortunately, as is always the case, carriers and companies could not agree on a profile for universal RCS leading to no direction and no adoption; Apple sitting comfortably on the outside with the exclusivity of iMessage did not help the matter either. However, Google with Chat seems to have put RCS back on track. As noted in the article, many carriers and manufacturers h

How 30 minutes more per Morning Changed my Life - Part 2

Body           I think the most obvious change (and the one I had most sought after) was too my body. After the holidays, I felt miserable with both how I looked and how I felt. I had not been doing anything physical and had consumed more food in a short amount of time than I had done all year. This state of mind is what led me to undertake this journey in the first place.           However, unlike when I was going to the gym, I chose to also completely change my diet. I decided that to completely invest in the program, I needed to quit sabotaging my own results. I gave up on almost all sugars, quit drinking soda, and began monitoring everything that went in to my body. While it is not only more expensive, but also more time consuming, to change my diet, I have found the results to be well worth it.           I have found that in only two months that the changes have been night and day. I have completely lost every bit of weight that I put on during the holidays as well put mysel