Skip to main content

Google is Firing on all Cylinders with Revamped Maps, Lens, Photos,and News

While Assistant was the runaway leader of advances at I/O, Google had more than enough left in the tank to change the landscape of future technology. With the focus on digital well-being and artificial intelligence, Google revamped Photos, Maps, Lens, and News flexing its muscles on all fronts of digital life.

Along with the tremendous advances in Assistant, Google introduced some truly incredible other technologies including showcasing the AI advancements to Photos as well as the introduction to the worst-kept secret Google News. Google is updating Photos with stronger AI tools such as recognizing individuals and prompting to share the photos with them. In addition, subjects can be selected to pop out in color against a gray-scale background; also, old photos can have color added via AI recognition. Documents can also be detected via Photos which will then be converted automatically to PDF. As expected, Google also announced Google News which will allow readers to explore news that is relevant and complete including a top 5 stories at the top of the app (in the soon to be everywhere “For You” section). It will use AI learning to understand habits and interests, and it is focused on understanding the full story (anti-fake news).

The next addition to Android, Android P, also made headlines today with an abundance of new Android features such as “Slices” which would allow a small “slice” of the app in the search field to perform actions such as purchasing movie tickets and calling a ride; all of this will be powered by AI prediction. Also, Android P will radically change the interaction with the UI by adopting (iPhone X-like) gestures including a swipe up for multi-task and swipe up further for the App drawer. Additionally, swiping sideways on the pill-style home button will show recent apps; these apps are even able to show live action at a glance without opening the full app.

Lens, the Assistant’s camera-scanning friend, also got some major boosts today including its seeming integration with Maps. Lens will become a street-level navigator on the ground with overlaid directions as well as information about landmarks that are on the screen. In addition, Lens will have the ability to pull words off of text to paste elsewhere, recognize animals and food dishes, and pull up shopping results for items in the camera. The beauty of this level of AI integration: Lens uses the camera as a viewfinder so no pictures even need to be taken.

The I/O Keynote was a tremendous success, and an example of how tech companies need to structure keynote addresses. In addition, the amount of effort Google is putting in to artificial Intelligence dominance is admirable. Only time will tell what Apple’s answer to Google’s artificial intelligence, but hey, at least we won’t have to wait too long; WWDC is not that far away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digital well-being is the trend of the year

Digital well-being is this year's buzzword With the keynote of WWDC officially over, it is safe to say one thing: digital well-being is the trendy topic of the year. I/O last month and WWDC have demonstrated that the key players in mobile devices (seemingly) want you to put your phone down. However, which company has the right idea in how to do it? Both iOS 12 and Android P have showcased coming features to address "digital well-being". For all intents and purposes, these words just mean that Apple and Google "want" you to spend less time on your phone; at least, that is the image they are portraying. Both iOS and Android offer new dashboards Now, how are they both doing it? While they differ in the approach, they have very similar tools. For instance, both operating systems will allow you to set timers on apps so that you can spend as much or as little times in those apps as you choose. If you go over, you get shut out of the app. In additio...

In-display sensors or facial scanners: which will take off?

The fingerprint sensor may be moving back to the front...under the screen. Could this be the next big trend in mobile technology (see previous entry about current trend)? Or, will companies move the Apple way and opt for facial recognition for security? With the debut of the iPhone X, Apple shifted away from the fingerprint sensor and debuted FaceID. Utilizing (arguably) some of the most advanced cameras and sensors, the iPhone X negated the need for fingerprint, bio-metric security by using 3D facial recognition to verify identity. In doing so, the home button vanished from the iPhone along with the ability to scan fingerprints. Several months later, at CES, Vivo demoed the first phone using in-display fingerprint scanner technology ; the idea being to remove bezels on the front as well remove the sensor from the back of the body. Prior to CES, many believed that Samsung would be the first to debut the technology, but they were held back by mass-producing and technological restra...

Checking in on me?

Admittedly, it has been a slower news day in my tech sphere, and I have not had a ton of time to do more research. But I find myself wondering tonight: how many people check in, and do you think it is a good idea to do so? While I understand privacy concerns, I leave my life mainly open for the public. I tend to share my life with the world through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. At any given time, those in my circle on social media know where I am, what I am doing, and who I am doing it with. Why do I do this  you ask? Is it vanity of making others jealous, or is it simply to let others know? Well, honestly, it is a little both. The most important issue others see with this lifestyle is that I am letting the entire world know where I am. I get the hesitation with checking in on social media. For instance, if someone would wish to harm me for some strange reason, they would know where to find me. Also, if someone would desire to rob me, they would know that I am not home. T...