Skip to main content

"Representative" "Representative" "A f**king representative!"

By far the most exciting announcement to come out of I/O this year was the announcement of automated calling from Google Assistant. For those that did not watch the keynote (or read my blog post), Google is experimenting with having the Assistant be able to make calls for you to do things such as make reservations or book appointments. In an expertly coordinated demonstration, the Assistant was able to book an appointment without significant issue while sounding extraordinarily human; the human on the other end of the live call seemed to have no knowledge of talking to a robot.

Now, this type of technology, which Google calls Duplex, offers tremendous potential for the future of artificial intelligence as well human/technology interaction; you can't tell me you have never wished to have J.A.R.V.I.S. Google's goal is to give time back to the people, and let machines do what they are more than capable of doing. While I completely love the potential of this venture, there are clearly some problems that could arise.

I will not even bother going in to the ethical questions that are quickly popping up about this technology such as should humans we notified about who they are speaking with. If that is what you are concerned about or interested in, I highly recommend reading this excellent article published by The Verge reporter James Vincent.

No, my concerns lie more with the technological restrictions because my moral compass must point in a different direction. As the demonstration showed, Duplex has the potential to be an incredible breakthrough in terms of formulaic tasks. For instance, it will know my calendar, commute time, and price range due to the data I give to it so it can easily navigate a conversation for scheduling most events and making reservations. However, it will not be to make judgement calls on the fly without information from me.

For instance, I golf every Wednesday and sometimes I will make my weekend tee time while I am there. However, in those very common times when I forget, I always call to make my tee time the next day for the weekend. On a normal time, it would be easy and convenient for the Assistant to call and confirm a time for me as well as put it on the calendar. However, what if they ask to group us with another group? My decision would depend on the people in that group so I could not make it a simple Boolean decision. In addition, what if I call for a specific time and they ask to schedule me a close time that is not full?

I also think about the frustration that could arise on the recipient end of the call as it is not always a joy to speak with robots. Yes, the naturalistic ability of the Assistant during the demo call was amazing, and the ability of artificial intelligence to calculate reasonable responses these days is incredible. But, sometimes even the most simple phone calls can turn in to lost nightmares. For instance, maybe I just want to call and schedule my car to have an oil change. Simple right? I worked for Firestone, and trust me, that call is far from simple. If someone called me and asked about that, I am asking 300 other questions to see if there is anything else I can do for them.

As an employee, would I get pissed if I was asking questions only to discover that I was speaking a robot that probably doesn't know? You're damn right. In these scenarios, the Assistant would not have enough information input from me to know how to adequately address the questions, and then you may have a pissed off employee screaming "REPRESENTATIVE!" at the phone just to find themselves making a circle on an automated loop.

Is this technology far more advanced than those automated machines? Absolutely; it is significantly better. And, these issues could be easily solved I am sure. I could give the Assistant a range of tee times that I would take, and as a fallback for anything, I could have the Assistant put me on the call if it hits a roadblock in answering questions. The technology is still new and very much experimental, and I am sure that it will only get better as testing moves forward. However, I think it is important to look at the potential pitfalls early to make sure they can be addressed so that Duplex can be a benefit to us all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

13 Reasons Why shows why it is not as easy as blaming technology for our societal problems

IMAGE: IMDB Let's start with a little background for those that are not familiar. 13 Reasons Why is a Netflix show that follows the story of Hannah Baker, or rather, the story after Hannah Baker. After intense bullying, harassment, and ultimately sexual assault, Hannah takes her own life leaving behind a set of tapes detailing the reasons she committed suicide. In the newly released season two, 13 Reason follows the trial in the lawsuit between Hannah's parents and the school district. An incredibly graphic show, 13 Reasons leaves little to the imagination. Hannah's suicide is shown fully on screen as are the various depictions of sexual assault including the now controversial scene featuring character Tyler in the season two finale. Designed to instigate discussion about some of the darker sides of society, 13 Reasons Why remains polarizing for how it depicts certain topics; however, one topic that is rarely discussed or mentioned is the affect that technology has on

RCS (Chat) may finally push carriers to give us the plans we really want

IMAGE: TechAdviser.co When The Verge first released its exclusive analysis on the future of Google messaging including the seeming death of Allo, the branding of Chat, and the push toward RCS, I did not think too much of it. After all, I had been reading about Rich Communication Services as the successor to Short Message Service for years; the popularity of apps such as WhatsApp, Messenger, and iMessage showed that people loved the feeling of more personalized messages. Uncompressed pictures and stickers were just the beginning of what RCS was capable as in-thread boarding passes started to become a reality. Unfortunately, as is always the case, carriers and companies could not agree on a profile for universal RCS leading to no direction and no adoption; Apple sitting comfortably on the outside with the exclusivity of iMessage did not help the matter either. However, Google with Chat seems to have put RCS back on track. As noted in the article, many carriers and manufacturers h

How 30 minutes more per Morning Changed my Life - Part 2

Body           I think the most obvious change (and the one I had most sought after) was too my body. After the holidays, I felt miserable with both how I looked and how I felt. I had not been doing anything physical and had consumed more food in a short amount of time than I had done all year. This state of mind is what led me to undertake this journey in the first place.           However, unlike when I was going to the gym, I chose to also completely change my diet. I decided that to completely invest in the program, I needed to quit sabotaging my own results. I gave up on almost all sugars, quit drinking soda, and began monitoring everything that went in to my body. While it is not only more expensive, but also more time consuming, to change my diet, I have found the results to be well worth it.           I have found that in only two months that the changes have been night and day. I have completely lost every bit of weight that I put on during the holidays as well put mysel